One of the greatest legends in Macau’s history and hospitality scene is that of the former Bela Vista Hotel – the inimitable Grande Dame of the colony, handed back to the Portuguese in 1999 and presently the Residence of the Portuguese Consul General.
Perched on the edge of Penha Hill, and with gorgeous and expansive views over the former Praia Grande, or Esplanade, from way back in the days when the Sai Van, or “West Bay” Lake 西灣湖was actually a Bay opening out into the South China Sea, the Bela Vista has seen and partaken in much of its host colony’s recent history.
The building, with its ornate neoclassical design, was erected in 1870 as the private residence of a British expatriate couple. No doubt recognizing the potential of the gorgeous…
View original post 698 more words